Monday, July 21, 2008

Thing #16 Wikis

The only thing close to wikis that I am familiar w/ is wikipedia. I'm planning on using wikis for a group project. My students will love it b/c they can coordinate w/ all group members and be able to gather facts quickly. The best part about wikis is that if a student thinks a fact or statement is incorrect, then they are able to edit the paper. This is an easy way to see that all team members are contributing to the project.
I do have concerns w/ having little control over editing. I can see some of my students getting into "editing wars" and making derogatory comments. Same thing with the content that is being discussed. How do I manage that? Do I include myself to the wikis page so I can manage what is being written???

1 comment:

VWB said...

because you create the wiki you will be included...depending on age of your students, you can have them sign up individually and then you could check the history to see who wrote what....each change will be recorded with the who and when!

it also will depend on how you set your standards for the wiki as you do for general behavior in your classroom.

I bet they will like it so much that they will use it correctly!